Wednesday, January 18, 2012

How To Chop an Onion.

When I was working as a UI Designer on Cook or Be Cooked I was clueless about most cooking and things like chopping onions or smashing garlic proved to be daunting tasks.

In case you are in the same boat I was, here's my 1 minute onion tip.  First, cut the tips off of the onion.  Then, you'll notice that the onion's center is usually off to one side.  Cut through the onion so that it intersects the center of the onion as well as the center of it's "core".  Geometry tip:  For any circle, there is exactly one line that bisects the center and another given point.



Peel the yellow skin off and, if you are lazy like me, the layer underneath it.

 The top and bottom of the onion should be top to bottom of the cutting board.  Dice from right to left keeping the onion together  as you go.

If your knife is sharp, you'll have a configuration that looks like my picture to the left.
 Now, dice across your original cuts.  You'll end up with nice, small slices as pictured below.









Easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment