Saturday, May 14, 2011

Diabetes

I'm not diabetic, but I have plenty of loved ones who are.  I take this crap personal.

Google "dietary guidelines for diabetics" sometime.  I'll wait.  My second hit was for Mayo Clinic, who surprisingly cites exactly no sources in the entire article I found.   Here's a sample, healthy meal for diabetics.


  • Breakfast. Whole-wheat pancakes or waffles, one piece of fruit, 1 cup of low-fat milk.
  • Lunch. Chicken kabob, 1/2 cup of steamed broccoli, 1/2 cup of cooked rice, 1/2 cup of juice.
  • Dinner. Pasta primavera prepared with broccoli, carrots, zucchini, yellow squash and Parmesan cheese, 1 cup of low-fat milk.
  • Snacks. Six homemade crispy corn tortilla chips, 1/2 cup fresh vegetables with a seasoned garlic sauce.
I swear, I'd explain what my problem with this is, if I didn't think my brain would fall out of my ears.  It really says something that we've become so lipid-phobic that our reputable links are encouraging diabetics to drink Juice, eat pancakes, fruit, rice, pasta, and tortilla chips in a given day.

Can we please, as a country, get past this low-fat-milk crap.  God willing I will milk a cow this labor day, owned by Amish farmers and drink it's deadly, creamy, unpasteurized froth.  

No comments:

Post a Comment