Saturday, January 14, 2012

Creating a rotating menu

As a mom of two and now a student again as well, sometimes it's hard to find time to meal plan and all that it entails.  I'm doing it right now, because I'm used to pasta.  Really, I'm used to the quick and easy meals that I could have done in 15-20 min and that's it.  But I'm having to learn new ways of cooking, without products with grains or HFCS in it (which is a LOT!).  So I've had to find new recipes.  Everything we've eaten in the past few weeks has been good, but there are a few that stand out to us as keepers and will probably go on a list of meals that we can rotate out.

One thing we LOVED from last week was fat guacamole devils.  Think deviled eggs, but add some avocado:
Image courtesy of www.marksdailyapple.com

These are SO SIMPLE!  Just hard boil your eggs, and for every 4 egg yolks, mix in 1 peeled and pitted avocado.  A splash of lime juice, salt and pepper, and a splash of chili sauce- I used sriracha (or rooster sauce).  Mush it all together, or be lazy like me and use a food processor, and spoon it back into the eggs.  I add some crumbled bacon on top (REAL bacon!  NOT bacos, those things will kill you!) and you have a high protein, high in healthy fat snack.  

A few other dishes we loved:
Bacon, Chicken, and Avocado Salad
Image courtesy of marksdailyapple

Pork Tenderloin with Cilantro Pesto
Image courtesy of marksdailyapple

These will definitely be entering the rotation.  Through the recipes from last week, I really learned how much I love avocado- it's the perfect food.  Smooth, buttery, and rich!

No comments:

Post a Comment