Friday, January 13, 2012

Sometimes you just want fried chicken


I'm from the south... the Deep South - and that means I was raised on a plethora of things that have turned out to be far from healthy. The truly sneaky downside of foods like these... fried chicken, fried okra, biscuits and gravy, corn flake covered casseroles, etc... are that they just taste so dang good.

Overall, it's not a big problem because as anyone who has been eating a paleo/primal diet knows, real food is every bit as good; but sometimes you get a craving for the foods you grew up on... sometimes you just want fried chicken.

Sure, I guess you could indulge and still safely make your goal of 80% compliance - but if you're like me and have a nasty gluten intolerance, things get a bit more difficult. Fortunately though, I have a wife who loves to cook healthy meals, and she has the Primal Blueprint Reader Created Cookbook. A cookbook which has a recipe titled:

Crispy Nut and Herb Fried Chicken with Creamy Avocado


Oh yes. Life is good.

I'm not going to go into how this was prepared -- that will be for my wife to do (as she is joining the Cave Thought team) but they turned out fantastic. Instead, I'd like to briefly point out that before we WENT ON THIS DIET, our dinners consisted of a pack of ramen, or we'd get a pizza, or maybe boil some spaghetti. Now, we actually eat more food than before. On top of that, it's healthier food, we frequently cook it together, and always eat it together.

It feels good to feel good. And our family is getting there. We are nearing the halfway point of a successful 30-day challenge. Our next step is making the commitment to be active. My wife has an excuse currently, as she gave birth to our son December 12th, so she's just now a month post-partum (and already 20lbs below her pre-pregnancy weight but there's more to that story for her to relate) -- for me however, there is no good excuse so I am committing to fixing that (and my lapse of posting) next week.

Of course there has to be a plan associated with this "fix" as well. I can't just say I'll fix it, so here it is:

Step 1 - Clean the Garage. This will make my wife happy and be a workout in itself.

Step 2 - Set up the mats in the garage and resume my martial arts training (and instruction)

Step 3 - Join Rusty for his sprints!

This week I'll also begin cataloging my weight fluctuation and try to track down a way to accurately measure body fat %. Time to see what the Primal lifestyle will actually do to me.

1 comment:

  1. Let's so some sprints and get some six packs on our biceps!

    ReplyDelete