Monday, January 2, 2012

Shepard's Pie

Rusty here, I hope you all enjoyed Patrick's testimonial.  I know I did!  Welcome, Patrick.

Shepard's Pie, this is a very broad category of foods for paleo peeps out there, since it's a simple way of combining meat, onions, veggies and starchy tubers.  

I browned ground lamb from the farmer's market, with some onions and shallots.  Cast iron is a good choice for this dish since you can pop it straight in the oven and it's heavy enough not to burn the meat and veggies that come in contact with it (heavy pots hold heat better).
Next, I added chopped carrots and green beans (these have been boiled with some uncured bacon for 30 minutes to an hour.

The carrots get plenty tender when the dish is baked.

I covered the dish with turnips, finally with some mashed potatoes.  

If you're avoiding potatoes, this dish can be made perfectly well with mashed turnips (or even thinly sliced turnips) on top.  In hindsight, that might have been the way to go, as my taters dried out a bit.  

The final, cooked pie, took about 40 minutes at 350.  Skipping the potatoes, precooking all of the ingredients like the carrots, or simply aiming for more moist mashed potatoes will generate better results.  

I'm still a bit sore from yesterday's workout (chinups, dips, curls and squats).  Feeling good!  

Work resumes after a lovely break tomorrow, which will limit the time I have to cook.  Boo!

Grok on January.  








No comments:

Post a Comment