Monday, January 16, 2012

Exercise, or play?

I haven't been officially cleared for exercise yet, but I'm five weeks postpartum and feeling great but need some more oxytocin, seratonin and adrenaline to help combat depression.  So I'm looking for ways to get fit that don't seem like... well, exercise.  Because who actually ENJOYS that stuff except for the crazies?

We took our daughter ice skating yesterday.  I didn't think I'd get out there, but once I did (and made a refresher trip around the rink) I found how much I missed it- it was FUN!  And exercise!  If the clouds clear up today, I'll probably take Rowan to the park and chase her around a bit.

What really excited me though, and prompted me to write this post, is a meetup group I found.  It's all about natural movement, which is what Mark Sisson advocates.  Playing like our children naturally do, moving like our ancestors did- climbing rocks, trees, running and jumping.  This group meets up at local parks, playgrounds, whatever.  In fact, they have an upcoming meetup for trampoline dodgeball- how fun does that sound?

When I get full clearance to exercise again I will be easing my way into this.  Maybe I'll eventually get into the more technical side of working out (weights, sprints, etc.) but for now I just need SOME sort of activity.

If you're local to the area, check out the meetup!
http://www.meetup.com/austinnaturalmovement/

No comments:

Post a Comment